What is a certificate of origin?
A Certificate of Origin is a document attesting that goods in a particular export shipment are wholly obtained or produced or manufactured or processed in a particular country (country of origin). Virtually every country in the world considers the origin of imported goods when determining what duty will be assessed on the goods or, in some cases, whether the goods may be legally imported at all.
County Kildare Chamber is officially authorised by the Department of Business, Enterprise and Innovation and Chambers Ireland to issue and certify export documentation.
Certificates of Origin are intended solely to prove the origin of goods in order to satisfy customs or trade requirements. Certificates of Origin should only be issued when they are actually needed, for example, in the following circumstances;
- To meet customs requirements in the importing state
- The customer/buyer/importer (consignee) requires it
- To meet ‘quota’ or statistical requirements imposed by the importing country
- To comply with the banking or trade finance requirements / letters of credit
The main forms of Certificates of Origin are:
- European Certificate of Origin
- Arab-Irish Certificate of Origin – Arab Irish certificates are for use when goods are being shipped to any of the 19 Arab League countries (Algeria, Bahrain, Djibouti, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Mauritania, Morocco, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, Tunisia, United Arab Emirates and Yemen).
There is an on-line facility for processing both EC and Arab Irish certificates of origin and related documents. This facility is provided in conjunction with TradeCert. and enables you, after purchasing the certificates as normal, to print out certificates of origin, with the County Kidlare Chamber stamp, at your desk. Using this system negates the need to courier or bring your certificates to the chamber and provides easy solutions in the event of mistakes being made on the certificates or related documents submitted for stamping. For information on how to use this system please see the Tradecert Quick Guide for Exporters. You will be registered for using this system when you complete and return your indemnity form and authorised signatory list.
Contact our office on 045 894074 for any further details