What you do this September could make the difference of a lifetime to children living with cancer.
September is childhood cancer awareness month and GOLD is the official colour.
Sunday, 1st to Saturday 7th September 2013 is a very special week. It’s when your organisation could make a REAL difference to children with cancer in Ireland.
That week, like every other, hundreds of children, all around Ireland, will fight one of many childhood cancers. You can help by lighting your building GOLD to create awareness about childhood cancer.
Without awareness, these children will endure severe, toxic treatments and will not have the best chance of survival. Unfortunately, research is vastly underfunded and simply is not happening fast enough.
Chances are, a child you know has been affected by cancer. Here are a few stark facts:-
- In 2010 alone, there were 238 new cases diagnosed.
- On average, 4 families per week are told their child has cancer.
- Childhood cancer is often considered ‘rare’ but:
- 1 in every 300 children is diagnosed with cancer before they reach 20.
- Over 1,200 children were diagnosed from 2005-2010.
- Cancer is the leading cause of death from disease in children.
- Treatment is very aggressive and can last for years. It often results in lifelong health issues.
- 1 in 5 children diagnosed with cancer will die within 5 years. Many childhood cancer types have much lower survival rates and are in desperate need of progress.
- On average, 34 children die from cancer each year.
All figures based on Ireland, children aged 0-19, 2005-2010 from National Cancer Registry.
We are group of parents with children affected with cancer in Ireland and we have joined forces with other campaign groups around the world who already have commitments from Niagara Falls, The Prudential Tower in Boston and the CN Tower in Toronto, to name but a few, to light up gold in September.
In conjunction with the Light it up Gold childhood cancer awareness campaign we are delighted to also be working with The Children’s Medical & Research Foundation on gold themed fundraising initiatives to raise vital funds for St John’s Ward at Our Lady’s Children’s Hospital Crumlin supporting the Fix Crumlin campaign.
Within just a few weeks of starting the campaign in Ireland we have initial commitments from the Mansion House, Dublin Conference Centre, St Patrick’s Cathedral, Capita Life & Pensions (Ireland) Limited & Capita Asset Management, Greystones Harbour, The G Hotel and Eyre Square Fountain, with many more to come. So we hope you will support our campaign and light up your building gold in September.
A member of our campaign team will be in contact with you shortly to discuss this with you in more detail and they will be able to answer any questions you might have regarding this.
We look forward to your support.
Light It Up Gold